Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Re-doing it

It's just been announced that Bruton Smith will resurface Bristol Speedway into the track's original confirmation and banking. Watching the Nascar race last weekend, it was more than obvious that the fans have had it with the "new" surface and its boring racing. I know we had. Haven't been to Bristol in four years now, I think, and it was once the hottest ticket on the Nascar circuit. Season tickets were family treasures. The empty stands proved that those season ticket holders have taken a hike. So Smith's re-do makes economic sense. If it kept on going the way it was, no one would be there to see a Sprint Cup race in a few years.

Speaking of re-dos, tomorrow my parents are being re-interred at Arlington National Cemetery. My dad was placed in the wrong grave last January, a fact I was able to prove because I had all his paperwork from 1952 showing the family plot and his place in it. Family plots are pretty rare at Arlington, but still, when there's a row of headstones all with one family name, why would you bury someone else in between two of them, someone who was no relation or even of a similar name?  It's been a long haul to figure out what to do, and a tree has had to be cut down to keep the family plots intact, but it was what my father wanted way back when this deal was set out and approved by the ANC superintendent.  This mistake was, I hope, a rare one. At least it's being rectified.

Even those with the best of intentions make mistakes. There's no shame in a re-do.

No comments: