Thursday, July 28, 2011

Novel Lovers

I have a Lucite paperweight with bright orange letters that say "Readers make Novel Lovers."  It makes me smile every time I read it. No, not what you're thinking. Get your mind out of the gutter!

Reading has been such a constant in my life, I can't imagine where I'd be without it. Books took me places I never could have imagined going. Mary Renault's Theseus books carried me into the land of myth, Kristen Lavansdatter to ancient Scandinavia, The French Lieutenant's Woman to Victorian England.  Who hasn't been transported to the War of Northern Aggression's South by Gone with the Wind and into the Great Depression in Alabama, and the heart of racism, by To Kill a Mockingbird?

I have much to be grateful for, and reading is high on the list. Support literacy. Tutor if you can. Help someone learn to love books as we love them. It's a wonderful gift.

No comments: