Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hot Day

Everyone seems to have the urge to get outside and do his or her thing. I planted at least fifty new day lilies, Virginia spider wort, and lamb's ear, and I'm about to tackle a raised garden. I have no idea why I've become so industrious, but I think it has to do with a long,cold, dreary winter. Our 19 year old cat was stalking, at a very dignified pace, an imaginary and very slow bird around the back yard while I was busy with my spade this morning. I realized he, like me, felt the need to stretch muscles too long restricted by heavy coats and hands swathed in mittens. His muscles have been draped over every heating vent in the house for nine months.

The dog wants to romp 24-7, despite the gumballs still littering the back yard. I dream of sleeping in the gazebo, and I HATE camping out. Even the gnats aren't driving me crazy, yet. This industriousness gives me a chance to think about my WIP, without that blamed cursor nagging me to get writing. Some of my best work grows out of new plants in the yard and the physical labor it took to put them there.

2 comments:

cncbooks said...

I'm one up on ya---came to Florida on Monday for a week to soak up some extra sun & heat. Naturally, it turned warm in Richmond when I left but I see it's going to be chilly and rainy tomorrow while it's 85 and sunny here in St. Augustine ;)

Lelia

Tracy D said...

Oh, the envy! St. Augustine. . .what heaven. Hope you took a stack of your TBR pile with you!