Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Clues

A couple of weekends ago, I spoke to the Chesapeake Sisters in Crime chapter about "Clues" - how to use them, etc., when writing mysteries. Using a Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston short story from an anthology titled THRILLER, I learned as much as the SinC group. The story's name is "Gone Fishing," and if you want to be surprised, read it. I counted five possible suspects, all logical, all creepy. The real culprit was there, but so cleverly hidden, albeit front and center in an unexpected way, that I couldn't guess "who done it." Give it a read, and see if you agree with me.

The group gave me a glass ornament filled with alphabet beads. I was confused until I read the tag tied to it: "Contains one Edgar (c) Award Winning Novel: Some Assembly Required." I laughed until I cried. So true. There're only so many letters in the alphabet, and we all use them. It's HOW we use them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I love it. I think I'll steal the idea for an Easter gift for a friend. Now, where do I find it or how do I make it.
Char
PS-How you been?

Tracy D said...

Char, it's easy to make. At your local crafts store, you can find empty ornaments, glass or plastic (I bought plastic balls that click apart), and buy alphabet beads in the beading section. Toss in a handful, and add a ribbon so it can be hung. I printed out a tag on address labels that held the caption, then stuck them on the ornaments. My brainstorming babes loved them!

Doing well, thanks. Looking forward to NYC next week and the PASIC conference. You?